Monday, January 6, 2014

Throwback: Disney & McDonald’s Hercules Plates

Back in 1997, little Kate was a HUGE Disney nut. Yes, I was obsessed. I thought any other animated films
were inferior to any Disney movie (rightly so), there were few that could compare (Swan Princess, Thumbelina). Hercules was one of the big ones I can remember being released to crazy fanfare, I loved it. I saw it multiple times in theatres and was SO excited for its release date.

My family had at least one fast-food meal a week. Usually Saturday afternoons, I remember how excited we would be to go to McDonald’s (most weeks) when the toys were good. To us, the Hercules toys were the BOMB. I know it sounds so lame now, but as a kid in the 90s the Zeus football was hot stuff. The plates were extra and super cool, because they were extra on top of the happy meal and a SUPER treat. My sister and I totally fought over the Megara plate… screw The Muses, right?

Well our plates are long gone after long time use in the microwaves for snack and not so serious meals. In case you are wondering, each plate will run you about $5 on EBay (on the cheap) but more likely $9. Or, you can pick up the whole set of six plates in mint condition for about $50. There are some more pricey sellers looking for hundreds of dollars, clearly these people live in a bubble of lunacy. I forget how much they cost back in 1997, but I have a feeling they ran about $2.99 with a meal purchase. Let me know if you can remember how much they were, I was just a wee filly back then.


I loved these plates, they were colorful and durable… until you put them in the microwave. I do maintain they are the best nacho plates ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment