Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 14, 2014 -- Happy National Donor, Ferris Wheel, National Cream-Filled Chocolates and (of course) Valentine's Day!

Like I said during my show, February 14th is not just Valentine's Day it is also National Donor Day, National Ferris Wheel Day and National Cream-Filled Chocolates Day. Something in that very short list of things is bound to make you happy so celebrate! :)

With that being said, I am a fan of Valentine’s on a purely commercial level.

Yes, I like presents. I like flowers. But, I love food. Especially when it is still expectable to be mid-winter bulking for warmth.  I do totally believe that people should celebrate their love everyday, but I am more on board with giving and getting gifts whenever possible.  Yes, I am a sucker for pink and red around this time of year (I'm normally more of a blue, green, yellow type of girl).

Now, this was my first Valentine’s Day on-air (outside of school), so I wasn't sure what kind of reaction my show would garner. I was worried about being too heaving on the V-Day talk and one break I had written had be really worried. I had changed it a few times to try not to exhibit a bias stance, that women are the only ones who should be getting gifts on February 14th. This is not the case, this year my boyfriend were a on a budget for the big day and saving up for our vacation next week. We made an agreement, nothing elaborate in the gift department and we could get whatever we wanted from the grocery store and have it for supper.

On top of our massive meal, fondue came into the equation. Cheese fondue.  I agreed to provide him with a copy of the long-awaited South Park: Stick of Truth video game as his gift and he agree to order the parts for my broken iPhone and repair it. A pretty good trade, am I right?

Observations from February, 14 2014:

-Who knew cheese fondue spells like cheese? I sure didn’t. Not the most romantic smell at our plastic card table.

My beautiful flowers even have a tiny teddy! (Arrested
Development joke)
-Truly feel your Valentine’s Day flowers are safe on your drive home you need another person to hold them and hate you. I realized this as I packed my car for the journey home, I felt like I was driving with a newborn baby in the car.

-When you're sitting at your desk later than expected on Valentine’s Day you really start to wish your boo would have sent something like a heart shaped pizza or pretzel… or maybe even a cookie. Being fueled by boxed chocolates does not a headache-free V-Day make.


-My parents are super awesome for giving their lovely children gifts for Valentine’s Day. I have learned that not many parents do this. I think my parent’s may have just given us gifts for putting up with their anniversary shenanigans (and annual mid-February anniversary party), our stuff always ended up being used during their parties. What was worse about it was being forced to watch the parties (they recorded them on video) and seeing things like your uncle wearing your princess bicycle helmet and slurring his words. I could write a whole blog on that on its own so we can leave to your imagination, its WAY funnier than you can imagine. Yes, the slate was always wiped clean with lovely gifts.

-People love talking about Valentine’s Day, I received more calls than ever during a show and social media totally was overwhelmed by V-Day talk. Love it or hate it, it seems to me like people love to vent their excitement or hostility for Valentine’s Day.

I don't think there is anything wrong for liking getting presents; I fully appreciate the commercialization of Valentine’s Day. To me though the best part of the day is the food. We have always had legendary Valentine’s Day suppers and this year was no exception!  (we left our phones off all night so I didn't take food pics)

-      - A cheese fondue platter to get it all rolling.
-       -Olive oil roasted cauliflower.
-     -  Garlic butter and pepper pan-fried steak ( we do not have a bbq)

It was awesome. We skipped on dessert for vacation’s sake.


I hope you had a just as happy Valentine’s Day (and got lots of presents)!

No comments:

Post a Comment