Thursday, July 3, 2014

July 02, 2014- Castlegar Sculpture Walk Sculpture of the Day “Jelly”

Today’s featured sculpture on Castlegar’s Sculpture Walk is one that is definitely in contention for my People’s Choice Award. Photos really do not do “Jelly” justice. “Jelly” stands tall on Columbia Ave and catches your eye every time you pass by Kootenay Market, heading furtherer into the Downtown Castlegar.

“Jelly” is another amazing sculpture from an artist from the Kootenays. Nelson’s Nathan Smith is behind this colorful free floating beauty. For more on Nathan Smith and his previous entries and work with Castlegar Sculpture Walk click here. The beautiful jelly shell is complimented by the metalwork tentacles that extend from the gelatinous head.

I am a big fan of “Jelly”. Honestly, it has captured my attention since it was installed. It is a beautiful (gigantic) representation of one of nature’s most mystifying creatures.

If you enjoy looking at jellyfish (but not really coming close enough to touch them) I recommend checking out the Vancouver Aquarium; I was blown away by the captivating jellyfish there. I could stand around and watch them all day!

To take a look at my previous blog about Castlegar Sculpture Walk’s “Tri-Tonal” click here

No comments:

Post a Comment