Monday, January 27, 2014

Mountain FM Night at Phoenix Mountain

I just wrote about the awesome first part of my day onSaturday at the Rossland Winter Carnival. My awesome day continued with a trip to Grand Fork’s to check out Mountain FM Night at Phoenix Mountain. Now, I haven’t been downhill skiing since I was 15, nearly a decade ago. And before that it had been since I was 11. Skiing, not a huge part of young Kate’s life. I have always loved to ski, I think I would have been seriously addicted to skiing if I had not have started playing hockey and would have had more time for it. But, here we are, I am nearly 25 and have downhill skied three times; and I love it.

Back to Mountain FM night at Phoenix Mountain, well it started a little rough. My boyfriend joined me on the night adventure to Grand Forks and he wanted to test that I really am able to ski by taking me down the bunny hill. This was a horrible idea. It was like my body had forgot everything it had learned skiing in rural Nova Scotia and was intimidated by BC skiing. I had to walk sideways on my skis to get to the bunny hill, it was quite embarrassing. Could it get worse? You bet!

I approached the bunny hill, my boyfriend had already reached the top of the bunny hill. I waited my turn while all the kids that surrounded me caught the tow-rope up. When it was my turn I made it about half-way up the hill before my crappy cotton gloves gave out on the tow-rope, I frantically tried to pull myself along with the rope to no avail. My boyfriend waited and watched, I think he tried to say something to me but I was too caught up being embarrassed by the approaching child who was coming up behind me on the tow-rope. Then the rope lost all traction and I start sliding backwards towards the child behind me. The child wisely bailed off the rope and went down half the hill rather than being back-plowed by a twenty-five year old idiot sliding backwards. Part of me secretly wanted to play reverse ski-bowling into the children to see how many I could scramble. The other part of me wanted to crawl in a hole and die.

I managed to hold on to the rope as I slide backwards and then with a massive jolt I began moving forward again and gained a little ground up the bunny hill. I could feel the blisters forming on my thumbs so I let go and skied off before getting to the top. This is possibly the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me in front of my boyfriend (he missed me eat-it cross-country skiing a couple weeks ago). As soon as I was within communicable distance with my boyfriend he shot off down the hill. While cursing him, I debated how bad it would look if I had as much trouble going down the hill as I did going up the hill. I discovered it could not be as embarrassing and shot off.

We met at the bottom and I made him promise to not make me do the bunny hill again. I used to think there was nothing as embarrassing as being passed by a small child on skis, I was wrong. The most embarrassing thing truly is halting the tow-rope line on the bunny hill while scrambling to hold on and pull your pants up. The poor kids behind me definitely got a little skin show; I need to by proper snow pants.

It has been said that I am relatively fearless on skis, which is kind of true. My first hockey practice when I was 12 years old (I had just quit figure skating to play hockey and had never skated in hockey skates before) I was really proud of myself that I did not fall at all. I was skating astonishingly slow, with flailing limbs; but I did not fall. My father was not impressed, he told me that was not how to measure how well I was doing and that falling meant I was really trying; I guess I took those words to heart because I tend to fall a lot as an adult… especially skiing.

Anyways, I only had one real wipe-out skiing at Phoenix and it was on my first run of the night. After the bunny hill everything seemed to come back to me really quickly. I have a nice little snow burn on my side to commemorate my only real skiing fail of the night on my first run, the tow-rope welts on my thumbs  are much worse. I was much more of a disaster on cross-country skis (somehow).

Thank you to everyone at Phoenix Mountain, you made my first night skiing trip memorable and managed to test my relationship! I think we passed our first trip skiing as a couple, I managed to not embarrass my boyfriend after the bunny hill experience and no one was injured.

I think Phoenix Mountain is the perfect starter hill, I am so happy I warmed myself up skiing there! It would be a great place to take the family and everyone there was incredibly nice! There is a full canteen with everything you could ever wish for food-wise. I can’t wait until Mountain FM night next year, I hope we see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment